Wednesday, September 10, 2008

BYU vs. UCLA (September 13th 1:30pm)

The high drama from the Washington game last week is sure to continue with UCLA rolling into Lavell Edward Stadium on Saturday. This is a game I am really looking forward to. It will be a great test for the Cougars who are still hoping to go undefeated to reach a BCS bowl game. By no means am I professional scout. However, you'll find my "scouting report" on UCLA's offense and defense and how each will effect BYU's performance:

UCLA's OFFENSE:
Last week BYU faced a quarterback (Jake Locker) that is very mobile and can create big plays with his legs. Locker's arm strength and accuracy is his biggest weakness. This week, BYU faces the exact opposite type of quarterback. UCLA quarterback Kevin Croft is a finesse quarterback who will sit in the pocket and throw. Don't expect him to run for yards very often. Crofts' arm strength and accuracy is much better than Washington's Jake Locker. UCLA is coming off of a big win over Tennessee two weeks ago. Croft had an exceptional second half to lead his team to a come-from-behind victory in overtime. However, Croft looked like a different person in the first half. Croft threw 4 interceptions in the first half alone making it difficult for his team to stay even close to Tennessee. Somehow he turned it around in the second half to get the win. It will be interesting to see which quarterback shows up on Saturday, the first-half Croft or the second-half Croft. I think I speak for all BYU football fans when I say that I hope it's the first-half Croft.

UCLA also has very athletic receivers. They are big, strong, and physical. This is where BYU is going to struggle. BYU has a weak secondary to defend these receivers. If second-half Croft shows up, I would expect some long passes and some easy touchdowns. The key for BYU is to put pressure on Croft and hope that you force him to throw the ball when he's not ready. Pressure him to make bad passes and hopefully come up with some interceptions and fumble recoveries.

Note: UCLA's starting running back, Kahlil Bell, is listed as doubtful for the game on Saturday. This was reported today by the Daily News in Los Angeles. This is a big break because not only is Bell a good running back but he's a good blocker. So if he ends up not playing, the Cougars have a chance to put some extra pressure on the quarterback.

UCLA's DEFENSE:
UCLA's has quite the challenge this week. BYU's offense is one of the best in the country. Most people around the country would say it ranks among the top 15 offenses in the country. However, UCLA has a lot of returning starters on defense. They are experienced and ready to prove themselves against a tough offense. Let's not forget that UCLA held BYU to only 17 points in two games last season. They are a good defense.

I still give BYU's offense the advantage over this tough defense. However, it will be interesting to see how they spread their defense. I expect them to come into the game with some disguised blitz packages to put some pressure on BYU quarterback Max Hall. BYU's offensive line will have their hands full trying to manage the blitz.

MY PREDICTION:
Because BYU wants to prove themselves and show the country that they are a top 15 team, I am giving them the edge. In fact, they play much better at home and I would expect their "weak" defense to wake up a little bit and play off of the sold out crowd. Therefore I am saying that BYU wins by 10 points:
BYU: 34
UCLA: 24

3 comments:

Sean and Janet Eyring said...

woo hoo!
I am the first to comment on the Heaps Sports Blog...too bad I don't watch sports...but go BYU on Saturday!!

Jared said...

I like the new blog Tyler! BYU football and the Utah Jazz are my two favorite sport teams to follow also, so I'll be interested to see your insights into the games. I can't wait for tomorrow. Should be a good game. Go Cougs!

Julie Sacks said...

Holy crap! I just saw the game. We've piped my parents tv over the internet so we can get the mountain over here in Ohio (even though it was Versus this week)! Ty, a good prediction... I must say I would have predicted about the same, but wow, 59-0, are you kidding me? BYU could do NO WRONG during the game! GO BYU! I love it!