Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Game I Love...

I drive up to my Parents house on Thursday to watch the BYU vs TCU game. I'm excited yet extremely nervous for the game because I understand the importance of the game. This game could possibly mean a Mountain West Conference Championship, a BCS bowl game, and even possibly a small chance at a National Title. I settle in front of the TV with my dad and brothers anxiously awaiting kick off. And then it comes...

From start to finish BYU was utterly embarrassed by TCU. BYU looked nothing like themselves. They couldn't move the ball on offense and they couldn't stop TCU on defense. It was a disaster. My nervous excitement quickly turned to frustration and dispair. I can generally be pretty positive about things but I wasn't in the mood to look for the silver lining. I kept focusing on the fact that the slim chance of a National Championship was out of the question, a BCS bowl is now out of the question (unless some serious miracles happen), and a Mountain West Championship is going to be a stretch.

After waking up the next morning, I was finally able to see that silver lining. The truth is, I love this game. I love everything about it. That means loving the good and bad things about the game. One of the most amazing things about college football is the fact that any team can go and beat any other team, no matter how good or bad each team is. Unfortunately, BYU came out on the losing end of things this time. But, before I write off the season and start looking forward to next season, I have to remember that there is still so much to look forward to this season. BYU will be playing some great teams and will have the chance to prove not only their skill but their heart as well. We've only seen the first half of the season and the second half promises to be filled with excitement, drama, and passion. What else could anyone ask for?

So with that being said...GO COUGARS!!!

1 comment:

Julie Sacks said...

Well said. It was an extremely difficult game to watch. In fact, I had to turn it off at one point to get a hold of myself. But Tyler, I sincerely believe you have just demonstrated a characteristic of a true fan by NOT writing off the rest of the season. Even though there is pretty much no chance of a conference title or a BCS bowl, there are still games to be played in the season, and I plan to cheer for them in those games too. So, way to got Tyler for being a dedicated fan!